faq 2017-07-17T18:25:59+00:00



hat is Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children?
Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children is a non-profit homeless services organization near Downtown Los Angeles. We are a non-sectarian program of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc.

What is the Mission of Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children?
Our mission is to empower women and their children to move from homelessness to self-sufficiency, through housing, employment and support services offered with dignity and love.

What services does Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children provide?
We provide both emergency and transitional residential services that empower women and children to move from homelessness to self-sufficiency. In addition to providing basic necessities and critical support services, we offer women the opportunity to rebuild their lives through case management, education and training, and employment services. Click here for more information about our programs.

How are the services at Good Shepherd Center different from other shelters and missions?
At Good Shepherd Center, we have a unique approach designed not to just alleviate the problems of poverty, but to create permanent change.  Most people have a vision of a homeless shelter as a rundown building on skidrow that has a huge hall of bunk beds.  Our emergency shelter and transitional residences provide single and double rooms for each woman and a key to lock their rooms.  Treating all of our residents with dignity, love and respect is the cornerstone to our philosophy. Case managers work with each resident to create a plan, set goals, and track her progress toward self-sufficiency.  It is our hope that our residents’ brief stay with Good Shepherd Center will be a chapter in their lives when they were given the time and resources to move past homelessness forever.

While most shelter programs have a 30-day maximum, our emergency shelter has a maximum stay of 12 weeks and our transitional housing programs allow ample time for woman to leave with a living wage job and permanent housing placement. Click here for more information about our programs.

How is Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children funded?
Only 18% of Good Shepherd Center’s annual fund is provided by government agencies.  The remainder of donations are from Foundations (31%), Individuals (29%), Corporations (5%) and Misc. donors (17%).   Please help Good Shepherd Center serve homeless women and children by making a donation today.

When was Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children established?
In 1984, our founder Sr. Julia Mary was asked to help a new population of people living on the street – women.  She was given an old convent in Echo Park and transformed it into an emergency shelter.  That led to adding an outreach van to serve women and children living on the streets and alleys.  Since that time, a Women’s Village was built that has two transitional homes, one for single women and one for single women and mothers with children, as well as a semi-permanent home for mothers and children.  Click here to read more about our history.

How many women and children does Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children house?
Each night Good Shepherd Center houses up to 93 women and 45 children in four residences. Our emergency shelter can house up to 30 women each night. In addition, we serve hundreds more each year through our outreach and drop-in services.

Who is eligible for your services?
Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children provides housing for homeless unaccompanied women as well as mothers with children.  Our residential programs must exclude individuals who have substance abuse issues, convictions of assault on police officers or registered sex offenders.

Are you a domestic violence shelter?
No.  While many of our women have suffered from domestic violence in the past we are not a shelter dedicated to those fleeing domestic violence.

Are the services at the Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children free?
Yes.  Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children is a non-profit organization and provides all of its services and programs free of charge to eligible participants.  Women in our transitional housing program pay a modest percentage of their income for rent.

How Can I help?
There are many ways you can help make an impact on the lives of our residents.  You can make a cash donation or provide gift cards for clothing, shoes and food.  You can also donate items such as new or gently used clothing, personal hygiene items, etc. Consider attending one of our signature fundraising events, or hosting a fundraiser at your business or home.  Click here for more information about the many ways you can make a difference.

Can I volunteer to serve food?
The majority of our women are responsible for preparing their own meals and in the emergency shelter we have full time cooks to make each meal. Donations of grocery store gift cards are of greater benefit for our women and children.  If your group would like to prepare dinner for our women on a regular basis, please call our Development Department at (213) 482-1834.

My daughter/son has a community service project. Can she/he help at the shelter?
We can always use food for our mothers and children. Food Drives or Gift Card Drives for clothing to ROSS, Target or Payless Shoes are in great need. Click here for additional volunteer opportunities.
Where is Good Shepherd Center Located?
We are located one mile west of Disney Hall near Downtown Los Angeles.

1650 Rockwood Street
Los Angeles, CA 90026

Click here for directions

Where do I park?
Parking for Good Shepherd Center is available on Rockwood Street or behind the building, accessible through the alley. The alley is located between Rockwood St. & Beverly Blvd.

Click here for a map

I’m a homeless woman. How can I get help from Good Shepherd Center?
If you are newly homeless or at risk of homelessness, call our Languille Emergency Shelter at (213) 250-5241 at 8 am on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. If you are in a shelter, have your case manager call the Hawkes Transitional Residence at (213) 482-0281. If you are a mother with children, call our Farley House Residence at 213-235-1460.   Click here for more information on finding shelter at Good Shepherd Center.

Can you help me get a job?
We offer job assistance and employment counseling services only to those women that reside at our facilities.

Can you provide me with food assistance and utilities?
Food is available through our Languille Emergency Shelter on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9:45 am – 3:00 pm.  The address is 267 N. Belmont Ave. We only provide utility assistance to those women and families that reside at our shelters.

If your question was not answered here, please contact the Development Department at (213) 482-1834

Join Our Next Fundraising Event

Give and Change a life forever

Choose Your Amount
Give Now

Stories of Giving

Get Involved!

Success Stories

Add your name below to stay informed


Your Support Makes All that We Do Possible

Become A Volunteer