Are you interested in volunteering or learning more about Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children?
Volunteers are essential to the success of Good Shepherd Center and help us improve the lives of homeless women and children in our community. We would love to have you join our team as a volunteer. Prior to volunteering we strongly reccomend that you participate in a tour of our facilites.
The next tour will take place on Saturday, March 11th at 10:00 am. The tour takes a little more than an hour and will be followed by a Volunteer Information and Orientation. If you are interested in volunteering or learning how how you can get involved (e.g. donating, serving on our Auxiliary Board, or assisting with fund-raising), we strongly encourage you to participate in the tour.
Those that attend the Volunteer Information and Orientation portion will:
- Learn more about Good Shepherd Centers' programs
- Be provided with a list of current volunteer opportunities and a job description
- Have an opportunity to fill out a volunteer application
Requirements for Volunteers:
- Fill out a volunteer application
- Pass a background check.or be live scan fingerprinted at one of our Live Scan Centers. (depending on your volunteer position).
- TB clearance (at your expense or there are facilities that do it for free; we will provide you with that information)
- Interview by a staff member/s
- Please note: Minors do not need to pass a background check but will need parental or guardian approval (signature)
- Join our Outreach Team
- Join our Auxiliary Board
- Serve as a tutor in Math or English for women working on their GED. Tutoring is one on one and hours are flexible.
- Prepare (or cater) a meal and serve to residents at one of our shelters
- Facilitate an employment related seminar-this can be a one time commitment.
- Organize our donation room. You must be able to work independently with little supervision. Hours are flexible but must be weekdays, during regular business hours. Great organizational abilities a plus!
- Facilitate a drive (food, toiletries, beauty products). Ask about our incentive program.
Ideas for School Children Who Need Community Service Projects or Adults Looking for a One-Time Volunteer Opportunity: (no background check needed)
- Organize a food drive-We are always in need of food for our emergency shelter, to fill the cupboards in our food pantry and for our Mobile Outreach. We accept both perishable and non-perishable items.
- Collect sample size toiletries for the Emergency Outreach Van that serves homeless women living on the streets.
- Organize a drive for full size toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body wash and make up).
- Organize a drive for our teens-Most donations we receive are for women and small children. Our teens often get slighted when we have activities and distribute donations. Example of items for teens: Skinny jeans for male and female, T-shirts, Converse shoes (Chuck Taylors) in all colours and sizes, lip gloss, chap stick, nail polishes, Gift Cards to: Forever 21, H&M, JC Penney, Target, Subway, McDonalds, Movie Tickets in ANY amount.
- (These ideas are also appropriate for church groups, businesses, college students, or adults who want to help, but do not have the time to volunteer on a regular basis.)
Please continue to look on our website for our most needed items and for most current volunteer opportunities, as needs for special events and other activities may be available throughout the year.